Wednesday, November 5, 2008

An Epic Day

The last 72 hours have been a whirlwind of emotions for me. Emotions I've suppressed would no longer contain themselves.

And, today they have been freed.

Many people are celebrating Barack Obama's presidential triumph. As we all should. It signifies great change. Many of us have worked very hard and hoped even harder. And, especially in the current state of our country - a CELEBRATION is in order!

The most vital lesson I am receiving is that journey is everything. Sure the destination is extraordinary, but it is measured by the small steps that pave the way. This day is the sum of all of the other smaller steps. A sum of all of the successes and failures. A sum of failing better by succeeding through persevering. Patience, determination, unity, and many more qualities of the human spirit are exemplified in the palpable feeling in the nation's air.

I can't help but apply all that I am bearing witness to empower the small steps that I take in my life right now. Witnessing such a momentous occasion as this inspires me to be better. Shows me that I can be better. That I can set goals to stretch myself, to reach beyond myself. Today has been big for me because I truly feel that a brilliant mirror has been held up and shown to me. And, while before I suspected and believed in my own potential- I am grateful that I have been presented with a glorious reflection of what potential really is.

"Keep your thoughts positive, because your thoughts become your words.
Keep your words positive, because your words become your behaviors.
Keep your behaviors positive, because your behaviors become your habits.
Keep your habits positive, because your habits become your values.
Keep your values positive, because your values become your destiny."
-Mahatma Gandhi

No comments: